Monday, April 17, 2017

Size and Proportions

In this phase of the design process, I will look at some key dimensions of the model, derived from my sketches, and compare them to similar vehicles. This is known as benchmarking.

The Ferrari LaFerrari is a modern rear engine, RWD supercar. I chose this vehicle for comparison because of the similarity in side profile view to my model.

Exterior Dimensions:

LaFerrari
Length: 185.1"
Width: 78.4"
Height: 43.9″
Wheelbase: 104.3″
Front Track: 66.9"
Rear Track: 64.4"

My Model
Length: 181
Width: 72.
Height: 47
Wheelbase: 105.5
Front Track: 65.
Rear Track: 63.

My Model
LaFerrari Front (not mine)

LaFerrari Side View (not mine)


2 comments:

  1. You picked a great model to benchmark to. How are the differences in sizes going to affect your overall choice of engine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Question. It really depends on the amount of space between the occupants and the rear spindle, rather than the overall length. The LaFerrari has an enormous 6.3 L V12 engine, so my model will still have adequate space for a smaller engine. (e.g. V10)

    ReplyDelete