Friday, February 17, 2017

Aside: Laser Cutting

The focus of my research is automobile design, but at CREATE I am also learning how to use the tools to produce my first vehicle. This week I learned how to use the laser cutter. This tool is used to engrave on a variety of materials or precisely cut materials into any shape. To make these shapes I learned to use CorelDRAW, a CAD program. I would have included video of the laser cutter in action, but the protective glass cover created way to much glare. Once I complete the body of my car, I can fit it with wheels made in the laser cutter. This way I can create my own design for the wheel covers. To create traction, I could even wrap rubber bands around the wheels. I can also place the car body inside the laser cutter to engrave designs on the hood, sides, roof, etc. For now, though, I will focus on designing the car!


Today is also my birthday (yay!) and an important step in completing my project.


My dad got me a book of classic sports cars. I will come back to this later for inspiration when designing my car.


I also got a new laptop for my birthday because my current computer did not satisfy the hefty system requirements of Autodesk Alias 2016, an automotive design tool I will be learning.


I will leave you this week with a few cars featured in my dad’s book, along with their modern counterpart.


Enjoy!

1978 BMW M1

BMW M1 Concept

1968 Ford GT

2017 Ford GT

4 comments:

  1. Nice Alek, your internship seems super cool! Is there anything you are excited about working on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kyle! I am really looking forward to learning the woodworking tools. I may use these to make a luxurious, wooden interior for my 3D printed car, or maybe even a rotating stand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are seeing options for the future steps of your project but refocusing on the main goal. It is great to have a fancy car but one that works is better. Happy birthday. How much do you believe historical trends affect the looks of a car? The 1968 GT is similar to the 2017 but were all the models in between a circular revelation? In other words, did it change much only to get back to a fundamentally great design? What influences a design to change the nuances of a car?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    Occasionally a car comes along that has a seemingly ageless design. These are incredibly influential for future vehicles. A classic example of this is the Chevy Corvette Stingray. It was incredibly popular in the 60s and 70s, but eventually the iconic "stingray" look faded into the background. But now, in 2016, it has reemerged! Thus, I think cars can have a powerful influence across decades.
    The Ford GT has always had the same fundamental features, such as the large air vents inside the hood and the sloping rear roof. Sometimes car makers do this to bolster their brand identity.
    Designs change especially when there are changes in the internal components, because technological advance makes new proportions possible. Without the electric motor, a car the size of a Smart ForTwo would probably not be around!

    ReplyDelete